Tuesday, December 05, 2006

My brother, Nate, brought something up in his blog that I share as a pet peeve in his post, We Don't Worship X:
I won’t share any examples here except the one that drives me crazy this time of year, Xmas. We don’t worship X, we worship Christ. I don’t think I need to say anything more. I know some of you are not religious like I am and don’t agree with this, and for you Xmas is ok, but for me it is Christmas.
Either in an attempt to shorten the word Christmas or as an attempt to secularize the holiday, Christ has often been replaced by X. Our society has attempted to remove Christ from Christmas with much success. Some feel that X = Santa Clause or receiving gifts, etc, etc. As the holidays get rolling and shopping starts to take its toll. Remember what the this season is all about. It's not about X. It is about Christ. Christ came here to Earth to die for our sins. Isaiah puts it so well in chapter 53:

"Surely he hath aborne our bgriefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted...He is adespised and rejected of men; a man of bsorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we cesteemed him not. "

Merry Christmas, and remember what it is all about.

2 comments:

Rach said...

I agree about the Christmas thing. Here is an interesting article on Wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xmas

Bob said...

well, that's interesting. X or XP comes from the greek word for Christ. So, it actually may be appropriate, but I feel that there are some people who feel that using X for Christ in Christmas is making it more politically correct. I will continue not to use the abreviation, but the wikipedia article is an interesting read. I'll never look at Window's XP the same, that's for sure.