Wednesday, March 15, 2006

During my Spring break I've been volunteering at an adult day center (basically day care for the elderly). Before I start sounding too altruistic I must state that I am required to do a certain number of volunteer hours for a class of mine. On top of that, my wife doesn't get Spring break with me because she's doing her student teaching this semester. So, I'm not going anywhere anyway…. and I have to get these hours in sooner or later, so it might as well be this week Well, my motives might not have been as pure as they could have been, but that's okay, no one is perfect.

I started to talk to this elderly gentleman that I'll call John. Our conversation wasn't exactly deep, but it was pleasant. Later, John introduced me to some of the other people there as his “old friend that came to visit”. As far as John was concerned, we've been life long friends and I just came to visit him (not any of this homework stuff). All of the people there were very nice to talk with. I may have had to introduce myself a few times to the same people, but hey what do you do.

There seemed to be a reoccurring theme in my conversations with these elderly folk. Their family was the most important thing in their lives. Life goes by quicker than you may think. Your kids will grow up in a blink of an eye before you know it; so, don't miss out on them especially while they are small.

I got thinking about how beautiful and cute my little girl is at this moment. The idea of her growing up seems so remote. After talking to my new found friends, I get the feeling that Sydney will grow up before I know it. She’ll be transitioning from diapers to cars and boys in a heart beat. I just know that I’m going to be having a hard time letting my little girl grow up. I figure that I had better enjoy my eight month old while I can.

I also was reminded that people need people, even if they won't remember you tomorrow. John and his friends we’re so happy to talk to me. I’m not sure how many visitors come to the adult day center in our town. These people have so many stories to tell. They are just fascinating to talk to, but we generally don’t have time. Well, I for one don’t have time because of grad school and my little family, but I’m going back again.

I’m going back again to visit my old friend John.

1 comment:

chuckbateman said...

It's nice to get a little perspective from some older people isn't it? I like it when I get behind one of them on the road and then I think to myself, "What's the rush?"